Byrom IT: Delivering the FIFA IT Solution
The client brief
To deliver the IT solution for FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 and 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™. Reliable, available and secure information technology and telecommunications products and services are critical elements to the success of any FIFA World Cup™. All participants in the FIFA World Cup™ – including the 32 teams, officials, broadcasters, media, FIFA and Local Organizing Committee staff, security personnel, service providers, and volunteers – require consistent and assured access to information during the event.
The Byrom solution
The significance of FIFA’s IT requirement is underlined by the statistics from the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, during which more than 21 terabytes of voice and data traffic were transferred over the event network by the 32 teams, FIFA officials, the local organizing committee, media and other event operations partners.
Byrom through its wholly owned subsidiary MATCH Services AG were responsible to:
- Ensure ‘state of the art’ national and international IT&T infrastructure capable of supporting event service levels available in host country
- Ensure national and international video and embedded audio connections with reliable back-up connections from stadia to IBC and to all key locations
- Provide a variety of media related operations IT infrastructure and service requirements (fixed line and wireless , internet connectivity and mobile telephony) in SMCs, Media Tribunes and other media working areas
- Operating in an unfamiliar territory including varying primary languages between key stakeholders.
- Approximately 1,000 IT support staff and volunteers required to support of the overall solution during the event period.
- Ten Major Software Applications – six of which are newly developed for the event including the entire Event Management System suite of applications.
- Delivered 120 operational Ticket Terminals for use in 17 different Ticketing offices across 6 cities in Brazil.
- Produced approximately 250,000 accreditation badges issued across the event programme.
- Supported with FIFA Digital approximately 10,000 registered users of the Media Channel.